Migrant Care Ministries
Since the beginning of COVID-19 several organizations have been collaborating with a team of volunteers and other organizations to provide post-release accompaniment to immigrants and asylum seekers released from Stewart Detention Center. The offerings are as follows:
- Airport accompaniment - a small team of volunteers are dispatched to the airport to greet immigrants released from Stewart. There they help assess their momentary needs. That often includes making reservations, printing boarding passes, getting a gate pass, accompanying the individuals to their gate, and purchasing a meal for the travelers.
- Radical hospitality - Since late July the Atlanta Friends Meeting (here in Decatur) has allowed Charlotte and me to host immigrants and asylum seekers in need of transitional housing. Most of our guests only stay one night and then catch their bus or plane to be reunited with family or friends. Sometimes it's a longer stay due to some form of an acute crisis. One example was a high school student who came here as an unaccompanied minor to only become a victim of forced labor. We've had two long-term guests, a homeless man from the Caribbean (10 days) and a Central American man who wanted to return to his home country but had to await the reopening of his country's airport. Since late-July we have welcomed to the meetinghouse 12 men from the Arabian Peninsula, the Caribbean, Central America, and East Asia.
How can folks from Holy Trinity get involved? Here are some items that can be used immediately:
- New or gently used clothing items. Specifically:
- long-sleeve shirts (S, M, L)
- pants (sizes 30-32)
- shoes (sizes 8 1/2 and 9)
- flip flops / sliders (for showering)
- laundry detergent
- Apprentices for our airport accompaniment - These individuals must be willing to go to the Atlanta airport and knowing the risks of COVID-19 decide to practice basic preventative measures (mask-wearing, hand washing/sanitizing, social distance, etc.). No experience or language skills are required. We can provide an apprenticeship. Volunteers are mostly needed early morning and late evening.
Long-term, Holy Trinity might sponsor some weeks/months of grocery items.
Tags: Serve the Community